4/08/2011

Wii External Usb Drive via Atari

I love the Nintendo Wii not for its game library but instead for it's ability to be soft modded (hacked without a chip).  See my buddies at Wii Brew for more info.   For a while I have been using a 16 gb usb drive with my Wii, that is until I saw this guy take it to another level.  That's a swell idea I thought to myself.  I had fished a few 2600 carts from a bargain bin a few months back.  So this is the first time I have ever tried to take (not tear) an Atari 2600 cart apart.  Although the cart label was purdy it had to go.  Under the label is a Phillips screw thats gotta go.  In addition to that there are two types of Atari carts.  One type is similar to the NES carts in the sense that there is nothing between the "contacts" of the game ROM which are just hangin' out inside the cartridge housing and the older ones have this crazy spring loaded shield that slides back once inserted into the Atari's main unit.  Not a big deal unless you're trying to tear...I mean take one apart or even make a portable Atari System like Ben Heck.  Anywho once the screw is gone you have to push in the trap door to expose the Atari game cart guts and then proceed to rip it in two...gently.  Once apart I needed to only sand down one side of both the top and bottom pieces to make the usb drive fit snugly.  I didn't even have to use a hot glue gun!  <gasp>  If you are a savvy shopper like myself buying small quantity bulk from china is the way to go.  Enter the female to male 2.5ft usb cable that I used here to give the project appearance and functionality.  Using Microsoft Publisher I fashioned my own custom cart art & presto!  An external Wii usb drive that I am proud of.
-kaokensho

No comments:

Post a Comment